The long weekend is here and are you ready to celebrate Victoria Day? We are and we love the extra time to spend it with our pets. With Victoria Day comes fireworks. Loud noises such as fireworks can be very scary for our furry friends. The noise can cause anxiety and fear in them. It’s important to take precaution to keep them safe and calm. We’d like to share with you these 5 Tips to keep your dog safe during this time:
- Give your dog plenty of exercise earlier in the day.
- Keep your dogs inside, preferably with human companionship. Bringing your dogs to a fireworks display is stressful for them.
- Provide a safe place inside for your dogs to relax. When scared of sounds they can’t orient, dogs often prefer small enclosed areas. If your dog is comfortable in a crate, that is a good option.
- Keep windows and curtains closed. Covering the crate or lowering blinds can be helpful. Removing visual stimulation can help calm nervous dogs.
- Give your dog something fun to do – like a frozen Kong filled with his favourite treats.