Fall is fast approaching and along with it are the usual family life changes – kids heading back to school, summer vacations ending etc. – is your dog ready?
In this Episode of the Muttz with Mannerz™ Canine Academy Podcast, host Corey McCusker is talking to you about how the switch to new routines and other life changes can be a stressful time for your dog, and it could be stressful for you, too. Corey shares some tips in this episode to help you ease the transition for both of you that you can get started on right away!
In this episode, Corey covers:
- Why this time of year when we are ending summer holidays and heading back to school and/or work can be challenging for your pup.
- Dogs like structure and familiarity – Corey shares some information about how to look at your dog’s routines and what might be changing and a tip about when to start introducing the change.
- That physical and mental exercise during any type of transition is important for your dog.
- You don’t have to do it alone! There are people in your community like dog walkers, friends, or doggy daycares that are there to help.
- The importance of keeping calm during your arrivals and departures from home to reduce anxiety.
- Try to include your dog in your new routine as much as possible.
- Get your dog a new enrichment toy or teach them something new to keep them involved with you and occupied.
- How playing background music can help to calm your dog when you are away.
- Signs that you can look out for to know if your dog is struggling with the transition.
- How crate training your dog can help keep them calm and makes new life changes easier for them to assimilate to.
- Why it is important to ease your dog into any changes that may be happening to their routine.
- Doggy Daycare is a great option to consider if you are concerned about leaving your dog alone – check out our offerings at Muttz with Mannerz in Stouffville.
To learn more about our Enrichment Daycare visit https://www.muttzwithmannerz.com/doggie-daycare
Listen to our podcast Episode 03: Separation Anxiety here >> https://www.muttzwithmannerz.com/podcast/episode-003
Corey McCusker, Canine Coach
Corey’s passion for helping humans and dogs excel led her to take a leap of faith after 22 years working in the Financial Industry to leave her corporate job in 2006 and start two companies. Corey is a Coach at heart and works with business leaders and high-performance teams, but her true passion has always been canines. She now has created a career that supports both.
Corey founded Muttz with Mannerz in 2006. Her foundation of knowledge which includes being a Senior Manager, Dog Trainer, Vet Assistant, World Tour Lead, and Mental Performance Coach helped her to launch the Canine Academy. The purpose of the academy is to assist pet parents build the foundation for their pups to be with them for life.
Corey believes in giving back to the community. Over many years she has volunteered at the Toronto Humane Society and the OSPCA and is also proud to be an evaluator for St. John Ambulance Dog Therapy Program. She held the position of Director of Communications on the board for the Canadian Association for Women Entrepreneurs and Executives from 2017-2019. She has been active with Markham Fair and been a Team Captain and on the Executive for Stouffville Ladies Floor Hockey League for over 15 years.
Corey has made Stouffville her home for the last 18 years and shares it with Mike, her partner, two stepdaughters, Karla and Alison, and their two energetic kittens, Dino and Demi. Over the years Corey has been fortunate to be blessed to share her life with 6 wonderful canines, Tilley ( Miniature Dachshund), Tiny, Kira (Great Danes), Fred(Maltese), Charlie(Morkie), and Cleo(Miniature Poodle). Corey and Mike welcomed their new puppy, Skye, a rescue Muttz from Manitoba reserves into their home in June. 2021. They have big hopes for her and look forward to Skye filling their lives with joy and being an active member of Team Muttz.
Muttz with Mannerz – https://muttzwithmannerz.com
Corey’s Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Join Corey each month for the Women and Dog Circle Free Meetups you can register here >> https://www.seewhatshecando.com/women-and-dogs-circle